All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis book belongs in every martial artist's library, as the Eighteen Lohan Skills are a foundational system for the development of kung fu-t only traditional Shaolin Temple Kung Fu, but for nearly all martial art systems created thereafter. This is true in the applications and functions of the exercises, and in posture names as well. No full translation or serious presentation of these exercises exists in English-until w! In presenting these teachings, Stuart Alve Olson made exclusive use of the original Chinese text by Praying Mantis Kung Fu master Fan Xudong and the later publication <i>Lohan Gong, </i> detailing the exercises by Master Wong Honfan. Included are the original illustrations from Fan Xudong's work and the photographs of Master Wong Honfan performing the exercises. The second section shows the original Shaolin text of these exercises with illustrations. The third section of the book presents the actual eighteen Lohan figures for which the exercises are named, providing a deeper spiritual outlook on the practice of kung fu and meditation. Through its yoga-like stretching aspects, the Eighteen Lohan Skills are t only a qigong practice (combining breathing with body movements), they also train martial applications, and promote internal alchemy skills because they stimulate and develop the internal energies of jing (body/essence), qi (breath/vitality), and shen (mind/spirit). The Eighteen Lohan Skills, then, are a complete system for health, longevity, and spiritual development. This book is a necessity for martial artists, qigong practitioners, and even those who follow Buddhist meditation practices and philosophy.
- Author BiographyStuart Alve Olson, longtime protege of Master T.T. Liang (1900-2002), is a teacher, translator, and writer on Taoist philosophy, health, and internal arts. In 2006, he formed Valley Spirit Arts to present his books and DVDs, and is the head teacher at the Sanctuary of Tao in Phoenix, Arizona, where he focuses on translating various Taoist texts, conducting lectures, leading retreats, and teaching.
- Author(s)Stuart Alve Olson
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication29/01/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight381 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byPatrick D Gross
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.