All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn award-winning environmental journalist introduces a new generation of farmers and scientists on the frontlines of the next green revolution. When Malthus famously outlined the brutal relationship between food and population, he never imagined the success of modern agriculture. New seeds, chemicals and irrigation, coupled with free trade, drove the greatest global population boom in history - but left ecological devastation and an unsustainable agro-ecomic status quo in their wake. Now, with a greater number of mouths to feed than ever before, tightening global food supplies have spurred riots and reform around the world. Joel K. Bourne Jr. takes readers from his family farm to international agricultural hotspots, searching for new solutions that can sustainably feed us all. He visits young corporate farmers trying to restore Ukraine as Europe's breadbasket, a Canadian aquaculturist channelling ancient Chinese traditions, the agromist behind the world's largest organic sugar-cane plantation, and many other people and groups, large and small, who are racing to stave off a Malthusian catastrophe. Part history, part reportage, part advocacy, The End of Plenty is a wake-up call for anyone concerned with what the coming decades will hold for our planet and its inhabitants if we don't take action.
- Author BiographyJoel K. Bourne Jr. is currently a Contributing Writer at _National Geographic_, where he has worked since 2000, first as a Senior Writer and then as Senior Editor for the Environment. He has a Bachelor's degree in Agronomy from North Carolina State University, and a Master's in Journalism from Columbia University.
- Author(s)Joel K. Bourne
- PublisherScribe Publications
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationCarlton North
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintScribe Publications
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.