Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionPerhaps the most enduring legacy of the Clinton impeachment saga will be the outpourings of disgust and pessimism it has evoked from Americans of all ages and walks of life. Yet our national disaffection with politics is thing new. Voter turut has declined alarmingly in recent elections, and many complain about the inaccessibility, corruption and hypocrisy of political actors and institutions. This book delves beneath the sound bites and news headlines to explore the ongoing process of depoliticization in the United States. Boggs provides a paramic view of the US contemporary political, ecomic, and techlogical scene. He shows how the effects of free-market ideology and corporate greed have undermined civic participation and democratic decision-making, while exacerbating social and ecological crises. The book illuminates the American retreat to an eerily privatized landscape of shopping malls, gated communities, new-age and utopian groups, identity-based movements, and postmodern intellectual enclaves. It issues an eloquent call for revitalizing politics and rebuilding civic society.
- Author BiographyCarl Boggs is the author of numerous books in the fields of contemporary social and political theory, European politics, and popular movements, including The Two Revolutions: Antonio Gramsci and the Dilemmas of Western Marxism (1984), Social Movements and Political Power (1986), Intellectuals and the Crisis of Modernity (1993), and The Socialist Tradition (1996). He has taught at UCLA, USC, and Washington University in St. Louis. For the past 12 years he has been professor of social sciences at National University in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Carl Boggs
- PublisherGuilford Publications
- Date of Publication25/10/2001
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGuilford Publications
- Out-of-print date01/12/2014
- Weight450 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.