All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExistential malaise comes to America - are we approaching peak America , where the Republic has failed, and the Empire which put paid to it cant be achieved? Seasoned political analyst James Petras addresses in broad brush the four major upheavals that loom: For the first time, the goal of socialism has been raised in the presidential primaries, backed by tens of millions of voters. The likely Republican candidate leads a mass right wing revolt which opposes globalization, capital flight and the free entry of immigrant labour. The US presidential elections are everything abrmal, with both major party candidates arousing popular revulsion. Not since the New Deal, nearly a century ago, have class relations come into sharper confrontation. Not since World War II have the US and Russia drawn closer to the possibility of mutual annihilation through nuclear war due to US empire building. The Presidency, in pursuit of a global legacy, draws on the support of the extremist mainstream media, prestigious Harvard mandarins of war, and military factions to pursue global hegemony, even as rebellious working peoples resist, and Russian and Chinese adversaries rearm and advance. Popular movements in France, Spain, South Africa, Argentina and Brazil, call for popular revolutions. Right wing nationalist parties are rising in Europe. Though the traditional centre-left parties have been ousted or co-opted by elites, under the duress of capitalist wars and austerity, mass electoral upheavals, general strikes, and armed resistance openly challenge the empire in all its bastions. Who rules America and who sets the military agenda in the most contentious regions of the Middle East is in open dispute. A neoconservative domestic policy elite reflecting Zionist influence has gained ascendancy under dubious claims of meritocratic credentials. Their ecomic policies have plunged the country into repeated crises, systematic swindles and spiralling inequalities, while their foreign policy has led to prelonged, losing wars resulting in disastrous human and financial losses. The political and ecomic power of the Zionist configuration in America has severely repressed critical debate and political action seeking to challenge its dominance.
- Author BiographyJames Petras is a Bartle Professor (Emeritus) of Sociology at Binghamton University, New York. He is the author of 64 books published in 29 languages, and over 560 articles in professional journals, including the American Sociological Review, British Journal of Sociology, Social Research, Journal of Contemporary Asia, and Journal of Peasant Stadies. He has published over 2000 articles in nonprofessional journals such as the New York Times, the Guardian, the Nation, Christian Science Monitor, Foreign Policy, New Left Review, Partisan Review, Temps Moderne, Le Monde Diplomatique, and his commentary is widely carried on the internet. In 2010 The Club of Mexican Journalists awarded Petras its prestigious International Journalism Prize for Investigation and Analysis of the News within the global context.
- Author(s)James F. Petras
- PublisherClarity Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2016
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationAtlanta, GA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintClarity Press
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.