Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.31Trending at AU $32.26
- AU $75.03Trending at AU $77.30
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.06
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $12.57Trending at AU $13.10
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.33
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $50.01
About this product
- DescriptionCynthia Flood's The English Stories offers a series of twelve linked fictions detailing the story of Amanda Ellis, a young Canadian girl who goes with her parents to England for a year that stretched into two, and her life at St. Mildred's school. Flood's suite is t limited to first person narration by the heroine; rather, the author chooses to spice this collection with a wide range of perspectives and voices. The result is an intricate collage which gives a sense of English life as viewed by an outsider during the 1950s, as the country tries to dust itself off in both the aftermath of the Second World War and the collapse of the British Empire. The English Stories is an assured and mature collection by one of the best short-story writers to come out of Canada, pairing striking emotional depth with tremendous technical skill.
- Author BiographyCynthia Flood: Cynthia Flood's stories have won numerous awards, including The Journey Prize and a National Magazine award, and have been widely anthologized. Her novel Making A Stone Of The Heart was nominated for the City of Vancouver Book Prize in 2002. She is the author of the acclaimed short story collections The Animals in Their Elements (1987) and My Father Took A Cake To France (1992). She lives on Vancouver's East side.
- Author(s)Cynthia Flood
- Date of Publication15/05/2009
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationEmeryville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- Weight299 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.