All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA charming guide to the story of the English village, celebrating this beloved heart of the countryside. The village remains a quintessential and much-loved treasure that is often representative of England. This rural idyll has inspired generations of great poets, velists and artists including the likes of Constable, Hardy and Wordsworth. The English Village champions all that is unique and loved about a typical village - the pub, the green, the school, the church, the pond, the local shop and more - as well as exploring how the village has changed over the centuries, and how it has adjusted to modern-day life. A fascinating compendium of interesting details, facts, customs and lore, this is an unabashed toast to the English village, as well as a record of a disappearing world.
- Author BiographyMartin Wainwright has been the Northern Editor of The Guardian for 16 years and broadcasts regularly on television and radio. Born in Leeds, the son of the Liberal MP Richard Wainwright, he co-wrote The Which? Guide to Yorkshire and the Peak District, and among his other books on northern or countryside topics are a biography of the English fellwalker and author Alfred Wainwright (no relation), True North: In Praise of England's Better Half, and a guide to the Coast to Coast Walk, as well as A Gleaming Landscape: A Hundred Years of The Guardian's Country Diary.
- Author(s)Martin Wainwright
- PublisherMichael O'Mara Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMichael O'Mara Books Ltd
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.