All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQuim Monzo is the foremost Catalan writer of his generation and has been translated into over a dozen languages. The Ermity of the Tragedy is regarded by many as his greatest work. At once a dirty joke and a high brow vel, a baudy tale and an exquisite pastiche, The Ermity ...tells the bizarre story of Ramon Maria. Ramon is a balding middle aged widower who works as a trumpet player in a burlesque show band. He lives with a stepdaughter who hates him in a house full of books left over from his failed publishing company. One night, having finally managed to persuade the lovely Maria Eugenia, leading lady of the burlesque show, to take him home with her Ramon Maria finds himself too drunk and nervous to adequately do his duty. Meanwhile his step daughter XXXXXX is busy stealing Ramon Maria's money and discovering the first joys and pains of adolescent love. When Ramon Maria wakes up the next day, he finds that his body has compensated for its earlier lethargy by bequeathing the puzzled Don Juan with a massive, never ending erection. As he struggles with the ins and outs of his new condition, one that apparently makes him more attractive to the opposite sex than he has ever been, XXXXXXX's experience with men and hatred of Ramon grow concurrently until finally she resolves to kill her stepfather and live in peace at last...But a straightforward resume of the plot doesn't do justice to a vel that has been hailed across Europe as a masterpiece of literary parody. Newcomers are bound to find Quim Monzo's work funny, endearing and of searing intelligence.
- Author BiographyQuim Monzo was born in Barcelona in 1952. He has been awarded the National Award for fiction; the City of Barcelona Award for fiction; the Prudenci Bertrana Award for fiction; the El Temps Award for best novel; the Lletra d'Or Prize for the best book of the year; the Catalan Writers' Award; he has also been awarded Serra d'Or magazine's prestigious Critics' Award, four times. He has translated the following authors into Catalan: Truman Capote, JD Salinger, Ray Bradbury, Thomas Hardy, Harvey Fierstein, Ernest Hemingway, John Barth, Roald Dahl, Mary Shelley, Roald Dahl, Howard Barker, Arthur Miller... Together with Cuca Canals, he wrote the dialogues for Bigas Luna's movie Jamon, jamon. He has also written the musical satire El tango de Don Joan, with Jerome Savary.
- Author(s)Quim Monzo
- PublisherPeter Owen Publishers
- Date of Publication01/07/2007
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Owen Publishers
- Weight304 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Translated byPeter Bush
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.63
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.28
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.