All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNaguib Mahfouz, the first and only writer of Arabic to be awarded the Nobel Prize for literature, wrote prolifically from the 1930s until shortly before his death in 2006, in a variety of genres: vels, short stories, plays, screenplays, a regular weekly newspaper column, and in later life his intensely brief and evocative Dreams. His Cairo Trilogy achieved the status of a world classic, and the Swedish Academy of Letters in awarding him the 1988 Nobel Prize for literature ted that Mahfouz through works rich in nuance-w clear-sightedly realistic, w evocatively ambiguous-has formed an Arabic narrative art that applies to all mankind.A Here Denys Johnson-Davies, described by Edward Said as the leading Arabic-English translator of our time,A and the first to translate Naguib Mahfouz into English, makes an essential selection of short stories and extracts from vels and other writings, to present a cross-section through time of the very best of the work of Egypt's Nobel literature laureate. Denys Johnson-Davies has produced more than thirty volumes of translation of modern Arabic literature, including The Essential Tawfiq al-Hakim (AUC Press, 2008) and The Essential Yusuf Idris (AUC Press, 2009). He received the Sheikh Zayed Book Award in 2007 for Personality of the Year in the Field of Culture.
- Author BiographyNaguib Mahfouz (1911-2006). He wrote nearly 40 novel-length works, plus hundreds of short stories and numerous screenplays. He was awarded the Nobel prize for literature in 1988. Denys Johnson-Davies has produced more than thirty volumes of translation of modern Arabic literature, including The Essential Tawfiq al-Hakim (AUC Press, 2008) and The Essential Yusuf Idris (AUC Press, 2009). He received the Sheikh Zayed Book Award in 2007 for Personality of the Year in the Field of Culture.
- Author(s)Naguib Mahfouz
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Weight748 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $14.24Trending at AU $14.43
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.23Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.