All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Essential Tagore showcases the genius of India's Rabindranath Tagore, the first Asian Nobel Laureate and possibly the most prolific and diverse serious writer the world has ever kwn. Marking the 150th anniversary of Tagore's birth, this ambitious collection--the largest single volume of his work available in English--attempts to represent his extraordinary achievements in ten genres: poetry, songs, autobiographical works, letters, travel writings, prose, vels, short stories, humorous pieces, and plays. In addition to the newest translations in the modern idiom, it includes a sampling of works originally composed in English, his translations of his own works, three poems omitted from the published version of the English Gitanjali, and examples of his artwork. Tagore's writings are table for their variety and invation. His Sonar Tari signaled a distinctive turn toward the symbolic in Bengali poetry. The Lord of Life, from his collection Chitra, created controversy around his very personal concept of religion. Chokher Bali marked a decisive moment in the history of the Bengali vel because of the way it delved into the minds of men and women. The skits in Vyangakautuk mocked upper-class pretensions. Prose pieces such as The Problem and the Cure were lauded by nationalists, who also sang Tagore's patriotic songs. Translations for this volume were contributed by Tagore specialists and writers of international stature, including Amitav Ghosh, Amit Chaudhuri, and Sunetra Gupta.
- Author BiographyFakrul Alam is Professor of English at the University of Dhaka. Radha Chakravarty is Associate Professor of English at Gargi College, University of Delhi.
- Author(s)Rabindranath Tagore
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Content Note12 halftones
- Weight1256 g
- Width162 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine49 mm
- Edited byFakrul Alam,Radha Chakravarty
- Foreword byAmit Chaudhuri
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.