All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.67Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionThe Ethical Techlogist explores what it is to be a powerful change agent during this most dynamic period of human history. Hundreds, even thousands of years in the future, the techlogical advances of the late 20th and 21st Centuries will be recognized as a pivotal point in human history. Techlogists today have the power to do what humans have never before been able to do. But with great power must come responsibility if we are to avoid trouble. Techlogists working today are busy creating the future of humanity. We need full awareness of the impact of what we are doing if we are going to create the best future we can. While techlogy is merely a tool, this book makes the case that the best kind of techlogy is that which helps people come to a fuller expression of their humanity, their human potential, to help a person become self-actualized. On the other hand, the worst kind of techlogy de-humanises people, reduces them to a component in a machine, a mere unit of production. Ethical conduct in techlogy development comes down to a simple, two-part proposition; people must be told what the consequences of using a techlogy will be and give their informed consent, and secondly, that they must t be harmed by using it. At a personal level, an ethical person has integrity; they are the same person regardless of who they are with, they do t adjust their morals to gain the approval of the people they are currently with. An ethical person is automous in the sense that they are the embodiment of right action. They do t need to look outside of themselves to kw how to behave. The kwledge is already there inside them. This can only come from careful introspection; this book shows you how. It comes down to being fully aware of what you are thinking and doing every moment, and consciously making choices that will produce beneficial outcomes for yourself and those affected by your actions.
- Author BiographyDavid Tuffley PhD is a senior Lecturer in Applied Ethics at Griffith University in Australia. As a former IT practitioner, now researcher, Dr Tuffley is uniquely placed to discuss the theoretical and practical aspects of ethical IT practice. He combines classical philosophical approaches to understanding the nature of ethical behaviour with an up-to-the-minute appreciation of technology in the modern world. The result is a completely unique approach unlike any other ethics in IT text. This book is the result of a 10 year research project into the nature and consequences of ethical IT practice. It is written in plain English for a broad audience.
- Author(s)Dr David Tuffley
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication28/12/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight192 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.