All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionThis book analyzes the development of the European Parliament's (EP) committees and their relationship with national political parties in the light of the EP's increased legislative role over the last three decades. The book argues that national parties have a greater incentive to care about what goes on in the EP given the growth in its legislative power. Because most of the EP's detailed legislative work takes place in its committees, national parties should be concerned about their involvement with the EP's committee system. Based on extensive original research, this book shows how the EP's committees have changed over time in response to legislative empowerment and analyzes how national parties and individual MEPs use the committee system to further their policy goals. The book makes a theoretical contribution by providing an explanation for the variation in powers of committees between separated and fused systems of government and by adapting theories of legislative organization developed in the context of the US Congress, to the EP. The European Parliament's Committees will be of interest to students and scholars studying the European Parliament, EU institutions, policy-making, and the development of legislatures and political parties.
- Author BiographyRichard Whitaker is Lecturer at the Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Leicester, UK.
- Author(s)Richard Whitaker
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/09/2014
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations, 30 black & white tables
- Weight249 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.