All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.42
- AU $29.93Trending at AU $31.26
- AU $46.04Trending at AU $52.51
- AU $12.74Trending at AU $13.11
- AU $19.75Trending at AU $20.72
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.23
About this product
- DescriptionSet in present-day Hong Kong, The Expatriates follows the lives of three women. An unspeakable tragedy leaves twenty-something Mercy with a crippling personal inertia, and Margaret, a mother of three, numb and unable to heal. In the same small expatriate community, Hilary tries to distract herself from a marriage gone stale by providing pia lessons for a local orphan, only to find her actions openly criticized on an anymous online forum. The individual, sometimes overlapping perspectives of Mercy, Margaret and Hilary are woven together, exposing the insularity and complex privilege of the expatriate world, whilst also revealing the fragility of a woman's position in the world. When the women are struck by tragedy, each of them realizes how shockingly dependent they were upon conforming to the unspoken rules of their milieu. In Hong Kong, without speaking Cantonese or having a job (it is almost always the husband who precipitates the move), these women find themselves, almost unexpectedly, stripped of their former identities and living in a land of country clubs and housemaids. Cut off from family, friends, and jobs, they find themselves in a world where the old rules longer apply. The Expatriates is a vel about overpowering grief, the transformative power of forgiveness and how finding oneself in a strange land can be the best way to find one's true self.
- Author BiographyJanice Y. K. Lee was born and raised in Hong Kong. She graduated from Harvard College with a degree in English and American Literature and Language. A former editor at Elle, she lives in New York with her husband and four children.
- Author(s)Janice Y. K. Lee
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication12/01/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLittle, Brown
- Weight572 g
- Width158 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.