All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLearn to unlock your inner explorer in this riveting account of a great, forbidding adventure and a fascinating examination of the seven key traits of history's most famous explorers...[with] infusions of insight and enthusiasm (Publishers Weekly, starred review). In 1856, two intrepid adventurers, Richard Frances Burton and John Hanning Speke, set off to unravel a geographical unkwn: the location of the Nile River's source. They traveled deep into an uncharted African wilderness together, arrived at two different solutions to the mystery, and parted ways as sworn enemies. The feud became an international sensation on their return to England, and a public debate was scheduled to decide whose theory was correct. What followed was a massive spectacle with an outcome one could have foreseen. In The Explorers, New York Times bestselling author Martin Dugard shares the rich saga of the Burton and Speke expedition and guides readers through the seven traits that history's most legendary explorers called on to survive their impossible journeys. In doing so, Dugard demonstrates that these traits have a most practical application in everyday life. We see St. Brendan the Navigator, driven by hope, sail into the unkwn, and the curiosity that inspired John Ledyard to attempt to walk around the globe, and the perseverance Howard Carter needed to discover Tutankhamen's tomb. From these and other examples, Dugard extracts lessons for unlocking the explorer in us all.
- Author BiographyMARTIN DUGARD is the New York Times bestselling author of several books of history. His book Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone has been adapted into a History Channel special. He lives in Southern California with his wife and three sons.
- Author(s)Martin Dugard
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Weight227 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.