All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe impact of religion on the 2004 presidential election results provoked widespread consternation and surprise. Given the results' intensity and closeness, however, the role of religion should t have come as a shock. In fact, religion and faith have long played a vital role in American elections, and here, John C. Green explores the link and how it has gradually changed. He concludes that an old religion gap that is, the long-standing political differences among religious communities has been supplanted by a new religion gap of political divisions based on religious behavior and belief. Green puts the differences into context and documents the changing role of religion in politics over the last sixty years. Covering three areas of religion that tend to influence election outcomes, Green illuminates the meaning of religious belonging, behaving, and believing in current political context. Each of these aspects of religion affects the way people vote and their views of issues, ideology, and partisanship. He reviews the importance of moral values in the major parties' coalitions and discusses the role religious appeals have in presidential campaigns. Given the emphasis on religion's influence on American politics and elections in recent years, this book serves as a cogent reminder that the situation is t new and offers a careful analysis of the role faith plays in electing government officials.
- Author BiographyJOHN C. GREEN is senior fellow at the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life and Distinguished Professor of Political Science at the University of Akron. He is the author or editor of several books, including The Christian Right in American Politics: Marching to the Millennium. He lives in Akron, Ohio.
- Author(s)John Clifford Green
- PublisherPotomac Books Inc
- Date of Publication31/10/2009
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationDulles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPotomac Books Inc
- Content Note10 figures, 66 tables, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.