All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionThe Faith of the Mithnagdim is the first study of the theological roots of the Mithnagdic objection to Hasidism. Allan Nadler's pioneering effort fills the void in scholarship on Mithnagdic thought and corrects the impression that there were compelling theological alternatives to Hasidism during the period of its rapid spread across Eastern Europe at the turn of the nineteenth century. In Nadler's account, Mithnagdism emerges as a highly developed religious outlook that is essentially conservative, deeply dualistic, and profoundly pessimistic about humanity's spiritual potential-all in stark contrast to Hasidism's optimism and aggressive encouragement of mysticism and religious rapture among its followers.
- Author BiographyAllan Nadler is the Wallerstein Associate Professor of Jewish Studies at Drew University. He has written for Commentary, Modern Judaism, New Republic, and other journals.
- Author(s)Allan Nadler
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication20/07/1999
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleJohns Hopkins Jewish Studies
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight406 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.