All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.77
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.98
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
About this product
- DescriptionThe last five years have brought such extraordinary changes to Germany and Europe as to make the previous forty years of Cold War existence seem deceptively placid and well- ordered by comparison. The collapse of communist rule in East Germany in the midst of massive demonstrations against the Honecker regime in late 1989 were only the beginning. The monumental changes that have taken place since have affected all aspects of German identity, both inside and outside of the w-unified nation. This book tackles the question of just where the new Federal Republic of Germany stands after 45 years and where it appears to be headed. The central concern of this volume is the nation's evolving united--or disunited--sense of identity. This identity, in a constant state of flux, takes many forms: the striking differences between East and West German views; German pacifism and national pride; the role of Germany in the world; the reemergence of radical right groups; and opinions towards foreigners and the right of political asylum. Of central interest to scholars of German and European history and politics, this book is a thorough assessment of Germany in the post-wall era.
- Author BiographyPeter H. Merkl is one of the leading authorities on modern Germany. He is Professor of Political Science at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Author(s)Peter H. Merkl
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication31/12/1989
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.