All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionKatharine Norbury was abandoned as a baby in a Liverpool convent. Raised by a loving adoptive family, she grew into a wanderer, drawn by the landscape of the British countryside.One summer, following the miscarriage of a much-longed-for child, Katharine sets out--accompanied by her nine-year-old daughter, Evie--with the idea of following a river from the sea to its source. The lumiusly observed landscape grounds the walkers, providing both a constant and a context to their expeditions. But what begins as a diversion from grief evolves into a journey to the source of life itself: a life threatening illness forces Katharine to seek a genetic medical history, and this new and unexpected path delivers her to the door of the woman who abandoned her all those years ago.Combining travelogue, memoir, exquisite nature writing, and fragments of poems with tales from Celtic mythology, The Fish Ladder has a rare emotional resonance. It is a portrait of motherhood, of a literary marriage, a hymn to the adoptive family, but perhaps most of all it is an exploration of the extraordinary majesty of the natural world. Imbued with a keen and joyful intelligence, this original and life-affirming book is set to become a classic of its genre.
- Author BiographyKatharine Norbury trained as a film editor with the BBC and worked extensively in television drama. She completed her M.A. in creative writing at University of East Anglia and is a doctoral candidate at Goldsmiths College. She lives in London. The Fish Ladder is her first book. Find her on Twitter at @kjnorbury.
- Author(s)Katharine Norbury
- PublisherBloomsbury USA
- Date of Publication11/08/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury USA
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width145 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.