All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.50
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.88
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.11
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn a Nigerian town in the mid 1990's, four brothers encounter a madman whose mystic prophecy of violence threatens the core of their close-knit family. Told from the point of view of nine year old Benjamin, the youngest of four brothers, THE FISHERMEN is the Cain and Abel-esque story of an unforgettable childhood in 1990's Nigeria, in the small town of Akure. When their strict father has to travel to a distant city for work, the brothers take advantage of his extended absence to skip school and go fishing. At the omius, forbidden nearby river, they meet a dangerous local madman who persuades the oldest of the boys that he is destined to be killed by one of his siblings. What happens next is an almost mythic event whose impact-both tragic and redemptive-will transcend the lives and imaginations of its characters and its readers. Dazzling and viscerally powerful, The Fishermen never leaves Akure but the story it tells has ermous universal appeal. Seen through the prism of one family's destiny, this is an essential vel about Africa with all of its contradictions-ecomic, political, and religious-and the epic beauty of its own culture. With this bold debut, Chigozie Obioma emerges as one of the most original new voices of modern African literature, echoing its older generation's masterful storytelling with a contemporary fearlessness and purpose.
- Author BiographyCHIGOZIE OBIOMA was born in 1986 in Akure, Nigeria. His short stories have appeared in the Virginia Quarterly Review and New Madrid. He was a Fall 2012 OMI Fellow at Ledig House, New York. He has lived in Nigeria, Cyprus and Turkey, and currently resides in the United States, where he has completed an MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Michigan. The Fishermen is his first novel.
- Author(s)Chigozie Obioma
- PublisherThorndike Press Large Print
- Date of Publication23/09/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThorndike Press Large Print
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.