All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo other train has entered the British national consciousness in the same way as the Flying Scotsman. It has been the star of films, music, dances, literature and even a cocktail - designed at the train's own cocktail bar in the 1930s. The Flying Scotsman first ran in 1862; it still runs today, passing through incarnations like stations through the years. In its heyday of the 1920s and '30s it was seen as the pinnacle of modernity: a stylish, glamorous feat of engineering. Now it is viewed through the heady steam of stalgia; an iconic image of days gone by. This book follows the story of the Flying Scotsman in a way that other history has, expertly weaving together the tale of the locomotive with a wider historical narrative. Furthermore, it delves into the lesser-kwn stories of the train - such as its sabotage by striking miners in 1926 - and features superb examples of poster art and other publicity materials commissioned by the LNER to promote the service, and documentary photography from the nineteenth century to the present. Written by the current curator of the National Rail Museum, the story of the Flying Scotsman has never been told so well.
- Author BiographyAndrew McLean is curator of the National Railway Museum. He first visited the museum on its opening day in 1975, and his passion for trains and railways has never waned.
- Author(s)Andrew McLean
- PublisherScala Arts & Heritage Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2016
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintScala Arts & Heritage Publishers Ltd
- Content Note200 colour illustrations
- Weight1135 g
- Width235 mm
- Height264 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.