All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy, in spite of widespread designers obsession with amazing bicycle concepts, bicycles still essentially adhere to traditional classic form? Why, in spite of countless car makes and models, the underlying car meta-form, is basically the same? On the other hand, why does our understanding of the word chair allow an extreme latitude of form variety? Why do kitchen appliances such as mixers and toasters, insist on retaining a specific form for each assigned function? These are some of the questions this book answers. The Form of Design is the first all-encompassing book about the visual language of man-made products. It explains how mass produced objects evolve over time and what made them change. Form evolution behaves in a similar way to language evolution and to some extent, even to natural evolution. In the book the author materializes the governing rules of form evolution by means of 14 case studies. These case studies encompass a diversity of product families such as smart phones and bicycles, coffee machines and chairs, TV screens and cooling fans, accompanied by charts and numerous illustrations that illuminate and elucidate the evolutionary processes involved. This book is t a historical review of thousands of years of evolution of man-made tools, artifacts and objects; it specifically focuses on recent, present and future trends. The accumulated cultural, cognitive science and design research kwledge is dealt with in part 1. Part 2 lay down the authors concepts of form. Then Part 3, the mainstay of the book (occupying about two thirds of the content), is devoted to the stories of the fourteen case studies.
- Author BiographyJosiah Kahane is a professor emeritus of design at the Holon Institute of Technology (HIT) in Israel. Kahane studied industrial design in UCLA, receiving a BA in 1970 and an MA in 1972. As one of the pioneers of industrial design in Israel, he was involved in founding the design program at HIT, serving several terms as departmental chair. Later involved in academic management, as HIT's academic VP. Kahane was also a design consultant in Israel s electronics and medical hi-tech hub. ent communities.
- Author(s)Josiah Kahane
- PublisherBIS Publishers B.V.
- Date of Publication04/05/2015
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintBIS Publishers B.V.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight740 g
- Width200 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.