All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionHalf a millennium before the Romans first arrived in Britain an even more ferocious people, the Celts, arrived in what is w south-eastern England. The Celts remained in Britain long after the Romans departed, and although driven into the remoter corners of the island by English invaders the people who remained clung onto their Celtic heritage, and defended their remaining lands against all-comers. In order to defend their lands from other tribes or outside invaders, these people established powerful fortified sites that served as places of refuge in wartime and as administrative and trading centres in times of peace. This book examines these fascinating forts, which varied considerably from the mysterious brochs and duns found in rthern Britain, to the hill-top forts ranging in size, to the promontory forts that formed powerful coastal strongholds all around the island's shores.
- Author BiographyAngus Konstam has written over 30 successful titles for Osprey Publishing, as well as more than 50 larger books for other publishers, including The Historic Atlas of the Celtic World (Checkmark Books, 2001). His interest in the period stems from his days as a history and archaeology honours student at Aberdeen and St. Andrews. He has also published articles on this subject in the Osprey Military Journal.
- Author(s)Angus Konstam
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication06/09/2006
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleFortress
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 50
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.)
- Weight245 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Peter Bull
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.