All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.17Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.57Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the past 30 years, what we used to call 'the passing show of existence' has turned into a global torrent of electronic communication and cultural change. Everywhere, Tradition is collapsing. Local fundamentalist reactions - hailed by some as evidence that 'God is back' - cant hope to stem the flood. They are merely symptoms of faith's increasing desperation. In our time, Don Cupitt says, religion is longer about gaining immortality, or the forgiveness of our sins: it is about becoming reconciled to our life's transience, to time and death. This ultra-clear and secular 'theology' therefore centres around the image of 'The Fountain', which close-up, is all isy, rushing transience, but when we step back becomes a healing, unifying symbol of life's perpetual self-renewal. This is religious thought with supernatural world, and with ne of the local divine names. But it works.
- Author BiographyThe Revd Don Cupitt is a Life Fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. His books include Taking Leave of God, The Sea of Faith and Solar Ethics were published by SCM Press and translated into many languages.
- Author(s)Don Cupitt
- PublisherSCM Press
- Date of Publication08/12/2010
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSCM Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight132 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Edition Statement1
Most relevant reviews
- wilau.up0up29 Oct, 2016by
Enthralling reading. Most honest and revealing philosopher I've ever come across.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.