In this book, Louise Bourdua examines how Franciscan church decoration developed between 1250 and 1400. Focusing on three important churches - San Fermo Maggiore, Verona, San Lorenzo, Vicenza and Sant'Antonio, Padua - she argues that local Franciscan friars were more interested in their own conception of how artistic programs should work than merely following models for decoration issued from the mother church at Assisi. In addition, lay patrons also had considerable input into the decoration programs. These case studies serve as a multiform model of patronage, which is tested against other commissions of the Trecento.
Louise Bourdua is an Associate Professor in the Department of the History of Art at the University of Warwick. She has contributed articles on aspects of Mendicant art and patronage to The Burlington Magazine and Papers of the British School at Rome, among other publications.