Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.19
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.55
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $21.58Trending at AU $24.17
- AU $11.52Trending at AU $14.32
- AU $11.88Trending at AU $15.37
- AU $23.64Trending at AU $26.68
About this product
- DescriptionIn a remote corner of a Latin American rainforest, a badly wounded soldier encounters an English Catholic priest who takes him to the Indian village where Father Thomas has his church. The Indians, whose traditional way of life is under threat from squatters who settle in the forest they once had all to themselves, are wary of the new arrival. The army has been sent to evict the squatters, but they are defended by a group of guerrillas. Venustia, the proud young Indian head of the village, is determined to protect his people, but sometimes feels powerless against the changes taking place around him. He despairs of his people's craving for city life, and he mistrusts the squatters, the guerrillas, the army, Father Thomas and even Milagros, the archaeologist searching the area for the ruins of a lost ancient city without success. But his immediate problem is the bloodthirsty jaguar prowling around the village: he is the only Indian with a gun, and he means to use it. In his first vel for five years, Pas Karnezis tells a story of almost elemental directness. The dilemmas faced by his characters are stark in their simplicity, and yet seemingly incapable of resolution. This short vel has profound things to say about faith, justice, progress, and violence.
- Author BiographyPanos Karnezis was born in Greece in 1967 and moved to England in 1992. He was awarded an MA in Creative Writing by the University of East Anglia. He is the author of a highly praised collection of stories, Little Infamies, and three novels, The Maze, which was shortlisted for the 2004 Whitbread First Novel award, The Birthday Party and The Convent.
- Author(s)Panos Karnezis
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication16/04/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Out-of-print date12/07/2016
- Weight346 g
- Width144 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.