The GM Debate: Risk, Politics and Public Engagement by John Walls, Wouter Poortinga, Gene Rowe, Tim O'Riordan, Graham Murdock, Nick Pidgeon, Tom Horlick-Jones (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $68.07Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.06Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book tells the story of an unprecedented experiment in public participation: the government-sponsored debate on the possible commercialization of GM crops in the UK. Giving a unique and systematic account of the debate process, this revealing volume sets it within its political and intellectual contexts, and examines the practical implications for future public engagement initiatives. The authors, an experienced team of researchers, produce a conceptually-informed and empirically-based evaluation of the debate, drawing upon detailed observation of both public and behind-the-scenes aspects of the process, the views of participants in debate events, a major MORI-administered survey of public views, and details of media coverage. With innovative methodological work on the evaluation of public engagement and deliberative processes, the authors analyze the design, implementation and effectiveness of the debate process, and provide a critique of its official findings. The book will undoubtedly be of interest to a wide readership, and will be an invaluable resource for researchers, policy-makers and students concerned with cross-disciplinary aspects of risk, decision-making, public engagement, and governance of technology.
- Author BiographyTom Horlick-Jones is an independent researcher and consultant, currently based at Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University. He was team leader of the debate evaluation project. John Walls is a Senior Research Associate in the School of Environmental sciences at the University of East Anglia. Gene Rowe is Head of Consumer Science at the Institute of Food Research in Norwich. Nick Pidgeon is Professor of Applied Psychology in the School of Psychology at Cardiff University. Wouter Poortinga is an RCUK Academic Fellow in health and risk communication in the Welsh School of Architecture at Cardiff University. Graham Murdock is Reader in the Sociology of Culture at Loughborough University. Tim O'Riordan is Emeritus Professor of Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia.
- Author(s)Gene Rowe,Graham Murdock,John Walls,Nick Pidgeon,Tim O'Riordan,Tom Horlick-Jones,Wouter Poortinga
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/07/2009
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white illustrations, 37 black & white tables, 7 black & white line drawings
- Weight249 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.70
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.