All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy the author-and-illustrator team of the bestselling The LibraryLydia Grace Finch brings a suitcase full of seeds to the big gray city, where she goes to stay with her Uncle Jim, a cantankerous baker. There she initiates a gradual transformation, bit by bit brightening the shop and bringing smiles to customers' faces with the flowers she grows. But it is in a secret place that Lydia Grace works on her masterpiece -- an ambitious rooftop garden -- which she hopes will make even Uncle Jim smile. Sarah Stewart introduces readers to an engaging and determined young heroine, whose story is told through letters written home, while David Small's illustrations beautifully evoke the Depression-era setting.The Gardener is a 1997 New York Times Book Review Notable Children's Book of the Year and a 1998 Caldecott Hor Book.
- Author BiographyHusband and wife duo Sarah Stewart and David Small have worked together on several picture books, including The Friend, The Money Tree, and The Library. The Gardener is a Caldecott Honor book. Small has also illustrated other books, including the 2001 Caldecott Medal winner So You Want to Be President?, by Judith St. George. Stewart and Small live in a historic home on a bend of the St. Joseph River in Michigan.
- Author(s)Sarah Stewart
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width208 mm
- Height273 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Illustrator(s)David Small
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.73Trending at AU $24.65
- AU $125.98Trending at AU $129.66
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $182.52
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $28.83
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $13.55
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $90.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.