All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.94
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on diverse theoretical and textual sources, The Gender of Suicide presents a critical study of the ways in which contemporary society understands suicide, exploring suicide across a range of key expert bodies of kwledge. With attention to Durkheim's founding study of suicide, as well as discourses within sociology, law, medicine, psy-kwledge and newsprint media, this book demonstrates that suicide cant be understood without understanding how gender shapes it, and without giving explicit attention to the manner in which prevailing claims privilege some interpretations and experiences of suicide above others. Revealing the masculine and masculinist terms in which our current kwledge of suicide is constructed, The Gender of Suicide, explores the relationship between our grasp of suicide and problematic ideas connected to the body, agency, violence, race and sexuality. As such, it will appeal to sociologists and social theorists, as well as scholars of cultural studies, philosophy, law and psychology.
- Author BiographyKatrina Jaworski is a Lecturer in Cultural Studies at the School of Communication, International Studies and Languages, University of South Australia.
- Author(s)Katrina Jaworski
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/01/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 6 b&w illustrations
- Weight518 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.