All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe seem to be abandoning the codes that told previous generations who they should love. But w that many of us are free to choose whoever we want, thing is less certain. The proliferation of divorces and separations reveal a dynamic we would rather t see: others sometimes reject us as passionately as we are attracted to them. Our desire makes us sick. The throes of rivalry are at the heart of our attraction to one ather. This is the central thesis of Jean-Michel Oughourlian's The Genesis of Desire, where the war of the sexes is finally given a scientific explanation. The discovery of mirror neurons corroborates his ideas, clarifying the phemena of empathy and the mechanisms of violent reciprocity. How can a couple be saved when they have declared war on one ather? By helping them realize that desire originates t in the self but in the other. There are strategies that can help, which Dr. Oughourlian has prescribed successfully to his patients. This work, alternating between case studies and more theoretical statements, convincingly defends the possibility that breakups need t be permanent.
- Author BiographyJean-Michel Oughourlian is professor of clinical psychopathology at the University of Paris. He is a collaborator with Rene Girard and Guy Lefort on the research that is the basis of Things Hidden since the Foundation of the World.
- Author(s)Jean-Michel Oughourlian
- PublisherMichigan State University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2010
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationEast Lansing, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichigan State University Press
- Out-of-print date17/04/2015
- Content Notenotes, references, index
- Weight295 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byEugene Webb
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $42.94
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.11
- AU $43.32Trending at AU $48.72
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.61
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.85
- AU $21.96Trending at AU $24.99
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.