All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the beginning was the Qur'an, the first book of Islam and also the first book of Arabic literature. Occasioned by the need to understand and interpret the word of God, and the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad, Muslims made an inventory and study of their tradition. This involved the collection, transmission and instruction of the sacred text, of the words and deeds of Muhammad, and also of poetry, from both before and after the rise of Islam - indeed of all matters regarded as pertinent to the proper and scholarly study of the tradition. This activity, which began in the last third of the seventh century, relied predominantly on aural study with a master, that is, on oral communication between teacher and student, although writing was already an integral part of this process. In the present work Gregor Schoeler explains how Muslim scholarship evolved from aural to read. The result was the genesis of one of the richest literatures of late antiquity and the early middle ages, as is clear from the widespread dissemination of scholarship through writing and the attendant proliferation of books.
- Author BiographyGregor Schoeler is Professor and Chair of Islamic Studies in the Orientalisches Seminar at the University of Basel. His publications include The Oral and the Written in Early Islam (2006). Shawkat Toorawa is Associate Professor of Arabic Literature and Islamic Studies at Cornell University. He is author of Ibn Abi Tahir Tayfur and Arabic Writerly Culture (2005).
- Author(s)Gregor Schoeler
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleThe New Edinburgh Islamic Surveys
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight249 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byShawkat M. Toorawa
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.13
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.18
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.