All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
About this product
- DescriptionThe various genera and species of the Orthopteran sub-family Tet- tigidae may be recognized under several names in the reports of a number of entomologists. They range from the form Bulla of LINNE (1767), whose figures are unmistakable, to the recent descriptions of SCUDDER (1900), HANCOCK (1902), and other orthoptologists. Such words as Tettix, Tettiginae and Tettigidae apparently were derived from tettix of Greek origin, meaning grasshopper. The common name, Grouse locust , has probably been applied because of a fanci- ful resemblance of some of these insects to the grouse (Tetraoninae). B I 0 LOG Y 0 F THE GR 0 USE L 0 C U S T S The Distinguishing Characteristics. The following discussion con- cerning the characteristics which distinguish the Grouse Locusts is largely from the detailed descriptions by HANCOCK (1902) and Ro- BERTSON (1915). (See Fig. I). FIG. 1. Lateral, dorsal and frontal aspects of the body of a typical grouse locust, Acrydium (From HANCOCK) They are among the smallest of the Orthoptera. The extremely de- veloped apical process of the protum extends backward over the 30 THE GENETICS OF THE TETTIGIDAE (GROUSE LOCUSTS) Explanation of Plate I (All figures from HANCOCK, 1902) FIG. 1. Choriphyllum /oliatum HANCOCK. Female from Jamaica. FIG. 2. Nymph of Acrydium obscurus HANCOCK. FIG. 3. Tettigidea parvipennis preparing the burrow for the eggs. FIG. 4. Acrydium granulatus SCUDDER. Female. FIG. 5 and 6. Dorsal and profile views of posterior abdominal appen- dages of a male Acrydium hancocki MORSE.
- Author(s)Robert K. Nabours
- Date of Publication01/01/1929
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, 4 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight180 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.