Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionWolff examines the domestic and international dynamics of the German question, one of the 20th century's most interesting and complex phemena since its 1919 inception. The German question is best described as the incompatibility of the territory of any German state with the extent of German cultural space and the different ways in which Germany and the relevant European and world powers have responded to the various problems arising from this incompatibility. The German question cant be reduced merely to the issue of German reunification and sovereignty, as was often the case between 1945 and 1990. Rather, it has always involved other aspects, including the situation of German mirities in Europe, migration, the definition of a German national identity, and so on. From this perspective, unification in 1990 only resolved one aspect of the German question, while others continue to exist and remain, with varying prominence, on the political agenda, at least in Europe. Still, contrary to previous decades, ne of the remaining aspects of the German question today poses a serous threat to European and international security and stability. Wolff goes beyond the usual focus on this question and includes the postwar expulsions and migration of ethnic Germans from Central and Eastern Europe and their integration in the two German states, as well as the legacy of the complex German-Polish and German-Czech relations as they play out in the current negotiations of the two countries' accession to the European Union.
- Author BiographySTEFAN WOLFF is a Reader in German Studies at the University of Bath. He is the author of Disputed Territories: The Transnational Dynamics of Ethnic Conflict Settlement (2002) and co-editor of Peace at Last? The Impact of the Good Friday Agreement on Northern Ireland (2002, with Jorg Neuheiser).
- Author(s)Stefan Wolff
- Date of Publication30/06/2003
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight499 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.