All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can a major art collection be on full display to the public, yet never be ticed? The answer is that it is on the ceiling. These painted panels were a key part of the Natural History Museum's original design and are covered in plants of all descriptions, painted in rich colours and finely gilded.'...each one tells a story - plants that have made and broken Empires, been the cause for terrible human suffering, or have brought joy through their beauty...the plants themselves tell stories that bring to life the times in which the Museum was conceived and built - the Victorian age.' From the Preface to The Gilded Capy .With specially commissioned photographs showing every single panel and full of intriguing plant histories, this book is a fascinating insight into one of London's best kept secrets.
- Author BiographySandra Knapp is author of Potted Histories (2004). The French edition was winner of the prestigious French gardening-book award, the Redoute Prize. Bob Press is an expert in Museum history and Associate Keeper of the Botany Department. He is co-author of Nature's Treasurehouse (2001).
- Author(s)Bob Press,Sandra Knapp
- PublisherThe Natural History Museum
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Natural History Museum
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Width171 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.