All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
About this product
- DescriptionWhat do you get when you mix personalities from Mean Girls and The Real Housewives with the charity world? Philanthropic events that are more about payback than giving back, and the talk of jewels and fashion is as prevalent as how much money needs to be raised for a good cause. Philanthropist and author Merri Lee Marks chronicles this glittery world of heels and scheming in her captivating book The Giving Game: Surviving Philanthropy's Schemers, Dreamers and Volunteer Vixens - Come Hell or High Heels. Marks is the first to expose the existence of bullying and incivility in the philanthropic realm - a setting which, for all its seeming benevolence, is ironically t exempt from such inappropriate, demoralizing behavior. This realm, Marks contends, has become a competitive sport, overrun by agenda-seeking, glory-hogging, desperate-for-attention housewives who will do most anything to capture the prize: recognition and upward mobility. Based loosely on her first-hand experiences in the trenches of the rich and glamorous, Marks describes how the gloves come off - and the cat claws come out - all too often in a world that is supposed to be altruistic in nature. Many women use the charity arena as a vehicle to exercise their ego trips, social climbing, agenda polishing and score settling; there are women who will t hesitate to peel off those white gloves and employ power-grabbing and back-stabbing tactics that would make even Machiavelli blush, all for the sake of furthering their social mission, t the charity's mission, Marks writes. Marks categorizes the movers and the shakers of the charity world into four groups: The Altruista - The true worker bee rolling up her sleeves and working for a good cause; The Philanthropista - Your typical society maven, a leader secure in her place and the archetype a Faux-Philanthropista dreams to become; Faux-Philanthropista - A woman who wants to be high-profile but is t; a narcissistic control freak who eats Altruistas for breakfast; The Socialista - The socialite, or Trophy Wife, who donates to organizations to enhance the family name's philanthropic reach and influence in the community. If you're playing the Giving Game, it's important to get familiar with these archetypes, Marks writes. Put them in your playbook. Otherwise, t kwing the players might cause you to lose the game.
- Author(s)Merri Lee Marks
- PublisherMotivational Press, Inc.
- Date of Publication31/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMotivational Press, Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight213 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.