All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.75Trending at AU $27.54
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.27
- AU $44.03Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $9.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.57
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $31.32
About this product
- DescriptionJan Pienkowski brings eight of the best-loved Polish folk tales to life with vibrant and witty paper cut illustrations. From Jan Pienkowski, much-loved illustrator of the Meg and Mog series, comes this beautiful collection of Polish folk tales, with vibrant and witty colour illustrations throughout. Using the traditional cut-paper technique he learned as a child, Jan brings 8 of his favourite Polish stories to life. Featuring classic stories such as Pan Twardowski , The Glass Mountain , The Wawel Dragon and The Fern Flower . A brand new title from one of the giants of children's literature, and the perfect way to introduce children to Polish folk tales.
- Author BiographyJan Pienkowski was born in Warsaw in 1936. His family were architects and artists. He made his first book when he was 8, as a present for his father. It was all about road rage - but featuring a horse and cart. The war made his childhood an adventure, if not a very comfortable one at times, taking him from Poland to Austria, Germany, Italy and finally bringing him in 1946 to England. After reading Classics and English at Cambridge, Jan worked in advertising, publishing, and doing graphics for the BBC children's TV series Watch! In his spare time, he started to illustrate books for children. The books took over. Jan won the Library Association Kate Greenaway Medal in 1972 for his silhouette illustrations to Joan Aiken's The Kingdom Under the Sea and again in 1980 for Haunted House. He was to use his silhouette technique to dramatic effect in other books like the Fairytale Library. Jan pioneered the modern pop-up book with Haunted House, Robot, Dinner Time, Good Night and 17 others. Christmas Kingdom, Phone Book and Door Bell added sound effects while Botticelli's Bed and Breakfast capers irreverently through the history of western art.
- Author(s)David Walser,Jan Pienkowski
- PublisherWalker Books Ltd
- Date of Publication04/09/2014
- SubjectPicture Books
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWalker Books Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight543 g
- Width200 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 7
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.