All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionSince the Stonewall rebellion in 1969, gay and lesbian movements have grown from small outposts in a few major cities to a worldwide mobilization. This book brings together stories of the emergence and growth of movements in more than a dozen nations on five continents, with a comparative look that offers insights for both activists and those who study social movements. Lesbian and gay groups have existed for more than a century, often struggling against ermous odds. In the middle of the twentieth century, movement organizations were suppressed or swept away by fascism, Stalinism, and McCarthyism. Refounded by a few pioneers in the postwar period, movements have risen again as more and more people have stood up for their right to love and live with persons of their choice. This book addresses both the mature movements of the European Union, North America, and Australia and the newer movements emerging in Latin America, Eastern Europe, and parts of Asia and Africa, examining the social and political conditions that shape movement opportunities and trajectories. It is rich in the details of gay and lesbian cultural and political life in different countries.
- Author BiographyBarry D Adam, Professor of Sociology, University of Windsor, is the author of The Rise of a Gay and Lesbian Movement and Experiencing HIV (with Alan Sears). Jan Willem Duyvendak, Professor of Community Development, Erasmus University of Rotterdam, has published two books on the new social movements and one on the gay movement. Andre Krouwel is Assistant Professor of Comparative Political Science at the Vrije Universiteit of Amsterdam.
- Author(s)Barry D. Adam
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication19/11/1998
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Content Note1 figure
- Weight508 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.