All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionThis book traces the evolution of the highly integrated global financial system from 1750 to the present. It examines the corporate form of business organization in the eighteenth century that saw an explosion of growth in the nineteenth, which facilitated the international movement of capital. The author also deals with the parallel growth of financial markets and explains how the need to finance public debts paved the way for stock markets as well as outlining the role of private merchant bankers, who originated as international bankers with family-run offices across Europe. He charts the development of banks into public corporations and follows the evolution of modern paper money, explaining the emergence of institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. While tracing the development of foreign-exchange markets and the history of trading blocs, the book also examines how ecomic powers such as Britain and France used access to capital to wield power in less-developed parts of the world. Finally, an history of financial crises is presented, revealing how ecomic shocks reverberate from one country to ather today through the global financial network.
- Author BiographyLarry Allen is Professor of Economics at Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas. He is the author of the ABC-CLIO World History Companion to Capitalism (1998), Encyclopedia of Money, and The Global Economic System since 1945 (Reaktion, 2002).
- Author(s)Larry Allen
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication31/08/2001
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleGlobalities
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note0
- Weight526 g
- Width133 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.