All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this remarkable and provocative book, Yanis Varoufakis explodes the myth that financialisation, ineffectual regulation of banks, greed and globalisation were the root causes of the global ecomic crisis. Rather, they are symptoms of a much deeper malaise which can be traced all the way back to the Great Crash of 1929, then on through to the 1970s: the time when a 'Global Mitaur' was born. Just as the Athenians maintained a steady flow of tributes to the Cretan beast, so the 'rest of the world' began sending incredible amounts of capital to America and Wall Street. Thus, the Global Mitaur became the 'engine' that pulled the world ecomy from the early 1980s to 2008. Today's crisis in Europe, the heated debates about austerity versus further fiscal stimuli in the US, the clash between China's authorities and the Obama administration on exchange rates are the inevitable symptoms of the weakening Mitaur; of a global 'system' which is w as unsustainable as it is imbalanced. Going beyond this, Varoufakis lays out the options available to us for reintroducing a modicum of reason into a highly irrational global ecomic order. An essential account of the socio-ecomic events and hidden histories that have shaped the world as we w kw it.
- Author BiographyYanis Varoufakis is Professor of Economic Theory at the University of Athens, Greece, where he now lives after more than two decades of studying and teaching in Britain and Australia (where he held academic posts, in reverse order, at the Universities of Sydney, Glasgow, Cambridge and East Anglia). This is his first book aimed at the general reader. His more stuffy books include Rational Conflict (1991), Foundations of Economics (1998) and (with Shaun Hargreaves Heap) Game Theory: A critical text (2004).
- Author(s)Yanis Varoufakis
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication18/08/2011
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleEconomic Controversies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Weight454 g
- Width140 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine140 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.27
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.