Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionThe quest for a mysterious amulet that had taken Sheila Paine from the Hindu Kush to Bulgaria in The Afghan Amulet continues. Starting in the forbidden valley of Palas in Pakistan, she travels through the former territories of the Soviet Union - from Arctic Northern Russia, through the lands of Genghis Khan's Golden Horde and into Soviet Central Asia - Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and into the wild Tien Shan. She follows ancient trading routes, travelling in the footsteps of merchants and armies, chasing legends of goddess worship, traditions of Orthodox belief and stories of pagan superstition. Her relentless pursuit, involving years of travel, finally ends on the island of Karpathos in Greece, where in a tiny church on Easter Sunday she makes an extraordinary discovery. Sheila Paine's search evolved into an unexpected journey full of twists and turns, dead ends and discoveries, ultimately revealing the ancient threads that culturally bind Central Asia and Europe.
- Author BiographySheila Paine is a world expert on tribal societies and textiles. Her passion for travel began when she was very young and has taken her across the world, from Africa to Pakistan. She is the author of several acclaimed books, including Embroidery from India and Pakistan, The Linen Goddess and The Afghan Amulet (also Tauris Parke Paperbacks) and has won travel writing awards from the Independent and the Sunday Times. She is currently writing a book on Afghan embroidery for the British Museum.
- Author(s)Sheila Paine
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication09/10/2006
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTauris Parke Paperbacks
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight372 g
- Width126 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.