All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat could middle-class German supermarket shoppers buying eggs and impoverished coffee farmers in Guatemala possibly have in common? Both groups use the market in pursuit of the good life. But what exactly is the good life? How do we define wellbeing beyond material standards of living? While we all may want to live the good life, we differ widely on just what that entails. In The Good Life, Edward Fischer examines wellbeing in very different cultural contexts to uncover shared tions of the good life and how best to achieve it. With fascinating on-the-ground narratives of Germans' choices regarding the purchase of eggs and cars, and Guatemalans' trade in coffee and cocaine, Fischer presents a richly layered understanding of how aspiration, opportunity, dignity, and purpose comprise the good life.
- Author BiographyEdward F. Fischer is Professor of Anthropology and Director of the Center for Latin American Studies at Vanderbilt University. He is the author, with Peter Benson, of Broccoli and Desire: Global Connections and Maya Struggles in Postwar Guatemala (Stanford 2006). He is also the founder of Mani+, a social enterprise combating malnutrition.
- Author(s)Edward F. Fischer
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures, black & white plates
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine458 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.55
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.