All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith a foreword by Helen Macdonald, author of the multi-award-winning H IS FOR HAWK. 'No hawk can be a pet. There is sentimentality. In a way, it is the psychiatrist's art. One is matching one's mind against ather mind with deadly reason and interest. One desires transference of affection, demands igble homage or gratitude. It is a tonic for the less forthright savagery of the human heart.' First published in 1951, T.H. White's memoir describes with searing honesty his attempt to train a wild goshawk, a toriously difficult bird to master. With previous experience and only a few hopelessly out-of-date books on falconry as a guide, he set about trying to bend the will of his young bird Gos to his own. Suffering setback after setback, the solitary and troubled White netheless found himself obsessively attached to the animal he hoped would one day set him free.
- Author BiographyT. H. White (1906-1964) was born in Bombay, India, and educated at Queen's College, Cambridge. He was the author of twenty-six published books, but he is perhaps best known for his sequence of novels reimagining the Arthurian legend, referred to collectively as THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING, the fantasy MISTRESS MASHAM'S RESPONSE and THE GOSHAWK. He died at sea on his way home from a lecture tour and is buried in Piraeus, Greece.
- Author(s)T. H. White
- PublisherOrion Publishing Co
- Date of Publication24/09/2015
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWeidenfeld & Nicolson
- Weight294 g
- Width140 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Foreword byHelen Macdonald
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.