All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- DescriptionThis exhaustive study of a set of Old High German particles, thoh, ia, and thanne, focuses on the pragmatic functions of those particles. After categorizing modal particles - particles which indicate implicitly a speaker's relationship to or attitude toward his or her own discourse - as a subset of metacommunicative particles, the author argues convincingly that thoh, ia, and thanne exhibit modal particle functions in four Old High German texts: they point to a speaker's presuppositions and expectations, determine interlocutionary force, and convey contations ranging from surprise to accusation.
- Author(s)Mary Michele Wauchope
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/1991
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleBerkeley Insights in Linguistics and Semiotics
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note5 fig.
- Weight480 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.