All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.06Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
About this product
- DescriptionThis exhaustive study of a set of Old High German particles, thoh, ia, and thanne, focuses on the pragmatic functions of those particles. After categorizing modal particles - particles which indicate implicitly a speaker's relationship to or attitude toward his or her own discourse - as a subset of metacommunicative particles, the author argues convincingly that thoh, ia, and thanne exhibit modal particle functions in four Old High German texts: they point to a speaker's presuppositions and expectations, determine interlocutionary force, and convey contations ranging from surprise to accusation.
- Author(s)Mary Michele Wauchope
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/1991
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleBerkeley Insights in Linguistics and Semiotics
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note5 fig.
- Weight480 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.