All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the third Marquess of Bute (1847 - 1900) met the rewned Gothic designer William Burges it marked the start of a lifetime's collaboration with architects and artists, producing work ranging from the High Victorian Gothic exuberance of Cardiff Castle and Castell Coch to the ostentation of Mount Stuart on the Isle of Bute and the sumptuous restoration of the Renaissance Falkland Palace. This fascinating biography tells the story of a rich eccentric, whose learning, insight and kindness produced extraordinary results in architecture and life, a man who combined being amongst the richest men of the age with artistic patronage of an almost incomprehensible scale.
- Author BiographyRosemary Hannah gained exceptional first-hand knowledge of Mount Stuart when she lived on the island of Bute. In 2000 she was awarded a PhD degree from the University of Durham for a thesis on the third marquess. She has published in academic journals, including Architectural History, on the interface of art, architecture and patron in the Victorian period. She is currently Church History Co-ordinator for the Theological Institute of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
- Author(s)Rosemary Hannah
- PublisherBirlinn General
- Date of Publication17/06/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBirlinn Ltd
- Content Notegenealogical tables
- Weight726 g
- Width160 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.