All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.12Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $17.64Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe 16 chapters translated herein continue the biographies of individuals in pre-Han China presented in volume seven of The Grand Scribe's Records. The reader is introduced to the major supporters and rivals of the founders of the Han Dynasty: the generals, advisors, strategists, and ministers who helped to shape the foundations of the first sustained empire in Chinese history. Although these men were often of common stock, they influenced the development of many aspects of the Han culture, a culture which in turn served as a model for subsequent eras. Based on oral and written accounts as well as on administrative records, these biographies range stylistically from anecdotal tales to repetitious reports of achievements in battle. The failure of the first five Han emperors to trust the loyalty of their subordinates is a leitmotif in many of these chapters. But the individual motifs that echo other sections of the Grand Scribe's Records-unrecognized heroes, both loyal and disloyal retainers, broken friendships, and faithless lovers-also appear in these pages.
- Author BiographySsu-ma Ch'ien (145-ca. 86 BC), China's greatest historian and an important official in the Han dynasty, compiled the history of his culture from its beginnings through the end of the 2nd century BCE. William H. Nienhauser, Jr., is Halls-Bascom Professor of Classical Chinese Literature at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Author(s)Ssu-Ma Ch'ien
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/07/2008
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleThe Grand Scribe's Records
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight844 g
- Width3963 mm
- Height5969 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byWilliam H. Nienhauser
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.