All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.35
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.83
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.83
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.08
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.00
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.85
About this product
- Description***WINNER, Best Science Fiction, 2010 Green Book Festival Based in scientific reality, Dale Pendell presents a powerful fictional vision of a fast-approaching future in which sea levels rise and a decimated population must find new ways to live. The Great Bay begins in 2021 with a worldwide pandemic followed by the gradual rising of the seas. Pendell s vision is all encompassing he describes the rising seas impact on countries and continents around the world. But his imaginative storytelling focuses on California. A great bay forms in California s Central Valley and expands during a 16,000-year period. As the years pass, and techlogy seems to regress, even memory of a precollapse world blends into myth. Grizzly bears and other large predators return to the California hills, and civilization reverts to a richly imagined medieval society marked by guilds and pilgrimages, followed even later by hunting and gathering societies. Pendell s focus is on the lives of people struggling with love, wars, and physical survival thousands of years in California s future. He deftly mixes poetic imagery, news-reporting-style writing, interviews with survivors, and maps documenting the geographic changes. In the end, powerful human values that have been with us for 40,000 years begin to reemerge and remind us that they are desperately needed in the present.
- Author BiographyDale Pendell is a widely published author and poet. A consultant for herbal product development and botanical surveys, and a computer scientist, he founded Kuksu: Journal of Backcountry Writing and cofounded the Primitive Arts Institute. He lives in Penn Valley, CA.
- Author(s)Dale Pendell
- PublisherNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationBerkeley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Out-of-print date13/06/2015
- Content Note14 Maps
- Weight617 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.