All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe world's principal measure of the health of ecomies is gross domestic product, or GDP: the sum of what all of us spend every day, from the contents of our weekly shopping to large capital spending by businesses. GDP also includes the myriad things that our governments pay for, from libraries and road-line painting to naval dockyards and nuclear weapons. The Great Invention reveals how in just a few decades GDP became the world's most powerful formula: how six algebraic symbols forged in the fires of the 1930's ecomic crisis helped Europe and America prosper, how the remedy w risks killing the patient it once saved, and how this fundamentally flawed metric is creating the illusion of global prosperity-and why many world leaders want to be able to igre it but so far remain powerless to do so. Drawing on interviews, firsthand accounts, and previously neglected source materials, The Great Invention takes readers on a journey from Capitol Hill to Whitehall-on the trail of theories made in Cambridge, tested in Karachi, and designed for global application-into the minds of unworldly geniuses seduced by the allure of power and the demands of politics.
- Author BiographyEhsan Masood is a science writer, journalist, and broadcaster. Formerly on the editorial staff of Nature and New Scientist, he is currently the editor of Research Fortnight and Research Europe and teaches international science policy at Imperial College London. As well as writing for Prospect magazine, The Times (London), The Guardian, and Le Monde, he is a frequent presenter for BBC Radio. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Ehsan Masood
- PublisherPegasus Books
- Date of Publication07/07/2016
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPegasus Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight364 g
- Width149 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.