All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionMany books have looked at the effect of the war on the Home Front, but this is the first book to take a glimpse at the Home Front photographically from an international point of view, covering both Allied and enemy countries, juxtaposing the same situations in different countries to show a similar response. This second volume chronicles the changes brought on by just a few months of war: spies, increased casualties, food shortages, changes in work patterns, the shortage of men in the work force, women at work and at the end of the year the slow rush in Britain to volunteer for the army, hoping to t be called for service. It also looks at the Home Front for those caught behind enemy lines where life was both spartan, potentially dangerous and subject to the whim of the victor. The photographs, many of which have t been seen before and some which have never been published, clearly show that each year of war had a further profound effect on each nation. This unique series of international photographic books fits in with the author's more textual books on the Home Front: Hull in the Great War and Reading in the Great War, both of which explore the complex life of a city at war.
- Author BiographyDavid Bilton is a retired teacher who spends his time looking after his family, working as a University lecturer and researching the Great War. He is the prolific author of numerous books about the British Army, the Home Front and the German Army. His first book, The Hull Pals, became the BBC 2 series The Trench. Since he started writing he has contributed to many television and radio programmes. His interest in the Great War was ignited by his grandfather's refusal to talk about his experiences in Gallipoli and on the Western Front.
- Author(s)David Bilton
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication04/02/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Note500 illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.