All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom A to Z, the Penguin Drop Caps series collects 26 unique hardcovers--featuring cover art by Jessica Hische It all begins with a letter. Fall in love with Penguin Drop Caps, a new series of twenty-six collectible and hardcover editions, each with a type cover showcasing a gorgeously illustrated letter of the alphabet. In a design collaboration between Jessica Hische and Penguin Art Director Paul Buckley, the series features unique cover art by Hische, a superstar in the world of type design and illustration, whose work has appeared everywhere from Tiffany & Co. to Wes Anderson's recent film Moonrise Kingdom to Penguin's own bestsellers Committed and Rules of Civility. With exclusive designs that have never before appeared on Hische's hugely popular Daily Drop Cap blog, the Penguin Drop Caps series debuted with an 'A' for Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, a 'B' for Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, and a 'C' for Willa Cather's My Antonia. It continues with more perennial classics, perfect to give as elegant gifts or to showcase on your own shelves. Q is for Queen. Ellery Queen is a fictional detective regarded by many as the definitive American detective-hero, rivaling Nero Wolfe as the successor to Sherlock Holmes. Ellery Queen also serves as the joint pseudonym for the creators, cousins Frederic Dannay and Manfred Lee. In a successful series of vels and short stories that covered 42 years, Ellery Queen was the best kwn American fictional detective during the 1930s and 1940s. The Greek Coffin Mystery (1932) is considered one of the earliest, most popular, confounding, brilliantly plotted classic whodunit mysteries of the Ellery Queen series, involving a dead and blind art dealer, a slain forger, a stolen priceless painting and the disappearance of a mysterious will from a New York townhouse full of suspects. During the funeral of famous art dealer Georg Khalkis, the metal box containing his last will and testament had vanished from the library safe. Son of a New York cop, Ellery Queen, a young master of deduction, orders a search of the coffin. To the horror of both detectives and mourners, when the coffin is unearthed, a second corpse, strangled and decaying, is found with the late Georg Khalkis.
- Author BiographyELLERY QUEEN is the pen name of two cousins from Brooklyn, NY, Frederic Dannay (1905-1982) and Manfred B. Lee (1905-1971), as well as the name of their famous fictional detective. Dannay and Lee created Ellery Queen in 1928 and spent over four decades writing and editing under the pseudonym, spanning radio, television, comics, board games, and film. Leading the Golden Age of whodunit mysteries, Dannay and Lee also cofounded Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, one of the most influential crime publications of all time. JESSICA HISCHE is a letterer, illustrator, typographer, and web designer. She currently serves on the Type Directors Club board of directors, has been named a <i>Forbes Magazine</i> 30 under 30 in art and design as well as an ADC Young Gun and one of <i>Print Magazine</i>'s New Visual Artists. She has designed for Wes Anderson, <i>McSweeney's</i>, Tiffany & Co, Penguin Books and many others. She resides primarily in San Francisco, occasionally in Brooklyn.
- Author(s)Ellery Queen
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2014
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitlePenguin Drop Caps Series
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin USA
- Weight431 g
- Width138 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Illustrator(s)Jessica Hische
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $14.24Trending at AU $14.43
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.23Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.