All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Great War will always be synymous with trench warfare and the mass slaughter inflicted by machine guns on the helpless but gallant infantry. There is a good reason for this view as the machine guns took a terrible toll, and the infantry's experiences continue to fascinate and appal people today. But one aspect of the fighting that gets insufficient attention is the artillery. Histories of the major battles often reduce the role of the big guns to a few paragraphs, and this has created a seriously distorted impression of the reality of the fighting. A better balance needs to be struck, and that is the intention of John Hutton's new book on the gunners of 1914. He tells the story of the war as the gunners themselves saw it, focusing on the first few months of warfare which were fundamental to the conduct of the campaign. The gunners may t have always shared the trench experiences of the infantry in the front line, but they were in the thick of the action, and success or failure depended on them. The personal testimonies of those who served with and supported the guns provide a vital insight into the colossal tragedy and drama of the war from the artilleryman's point of view.
- Author BiographyBetween 1992 and 2010, John Hutton was the Member of Parliament for Barrow and Furness. He held various ministerial offices, first as a health minister, then as Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Business and finally for Defence. On the dissolution of Parliament in 2010, he was made a life peer. He is a Trustee of the RAF Museum and of the HMS Victory Preservation Trust. He is the author of Kitchener's Men: The King's Own Royal Lancasters on the Western Front 1915-1918, August 1914: Surrender at St Quentin and A Doctor on the Western Front.
- Author(s)John Hutton
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Note30 illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.27
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.