All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.18Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionPhysics was the leading science of the twentieth century and the book retraces important discoveries, made between 1895 and 2001, in 100 self-contained episodes. Each is a short story of the scientists involved, their time, and their work. Together they form a mosaic of modern physics: formulating relativity and quantum mechanics, finding the constituents of matter and unravelling the forces between them, understanding the working of conductors and semiconductors, discovering and explaining macroscopic quantum effects (superconductivity, superfluidity, quantum Hall effect), developing vel experimental techniques like the Geiger counter and particle accelerators, building revolutionary applications like the transistor and the laser, and observing astonishing features of our cosmos (expanding universe, cosmic background radiation). The text is intended for easy reading. Occasionally, a more thorough discussion of experimental set-ups and theoretical concepts is presented in special boxes for readers interested in more detail. Episodes contain extensive references to biographies and original scientific literature. The book is richly illustrated by about 600 portraits, photographs and figures.
- Author BiographySiegmund Brandt Professor Emeritus Physics Department University of Siegen Germany Born 1936 in Berlin. Diploma 1959 and Ph.D. 1963 under Wolfgang Paul at Bonn University. Staff member at CERN 1962-65. Privatdozent at Heidelberg University 1966-72. Professor of Physics at Siegen University since 1972 , member of the Foundation Senate 1972-80, Professor Emeritus since 2001. Participation in particle-physics experiments at the accelerator centres CERN and DESY, starting 1961. Co-author and author of textbooks on different field of physics and on data analysis, which appeared in ten languages. Chairman, Particle Physics Section, German Physical Society 1986-89. Chairman, Scientific Council, DESY 1990-93. Member, Scientific-Technical Council, Research Centre Julich 1982-2002.
- Author(s)Siegmund Brandt
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication06/11/2008
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note250 line drawings and 350 photographs
- Weight1274 g
- Width195 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine29 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.