All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArriving at their idyllic and newly revated Highland home, worthy of TV's Grand Designs, wealthy thirty-somethings, John and Laura Payne, hope they are leaving their problems behind in the city. But the couple's presence disturbs neighbour and local eccentric, Luther Grove, forcing him to confront long buried secrets; secrets that draw him inextricably to Laura and trigger an instant conflict with John. The arrival of John's brother, Frank, proves to be the spark that ignites this highly combustible triangular relationship, ultimately threatening the safety and sanity of all four as they are propelled towards a bloody and tragic deuement. In a stunning debut, Barry Gornell, graduate of the University of Glasgow's rewned and highly successful Creative Writing Masters course - which launched the careers of John Creasey Dagger winner Louise Welsh, Orange Prize minee Anne Dovan, Somerset Maugham winner Rodge Glass, and Man Booker minee Rachel Seiffert, amongst many others - builds the tension flawlessly, showing genuine sympathy for his principle characters in this elegant, claustrophobic and acutely observed psychological thriller.
- Author BiographyBarry Gornell was born in Liverpool and now lives on the West Coast of Scotland. He is a screenwriter and ex-fire-fighter, truck driver and book shop manager. His short films, Sonny's Pride (1997) and The Race (2004) were both broadcast on Scottish Television. His short fiction has been published in The Herald newspaper and Let's Pretend, 37 stories about (in)fidelity (Freight, 2009) and an extract from The Healing of Luther Grove appeared in Gutter, the magazine of new Scottish writing, in August 2010. Barry graduated from the University of Glasgow's Creative Writing Masters programme in 2008 and was awarded a prestigious Scottish Book Trust New Writer's Bursary in 2009.
- Author(s)Barry Gornell
- PublisherFreight Books
- Date of Publication19/09/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationGlasgow
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFreight Books
- Weight268 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.48Trending at AU $32.23
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.26
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $78.69
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.32
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.